Upcoming MatchDartford vs Sutton United/July 27, 2024/Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park


Yeovil Match Report

Dartford’s time in the National League South came to an end, as champions Yeovil Town condemned them to a defeat on a beautiful afternoon at Huish Park.

As 5,701 supporters (115 of which were Dartford fans) prepared for an afternoon celebrating The Glovers’ return to the National League, the visitors initially set about trying to spoil the party.

And Adrian Pennock’s side couldn’t have asked for a better start, after skipper Luke Coulson headed them ahead in the fifth minute following Olly Box’s delicious cross.

However Dartford weren’t ahead for long, as the hosts soon levelled the score via Sam Pearson, who got on the end of Brooklyn Genesini’s cross to fire home from close-range (8).

From that point on, it was all Yeovil as they dominated possession for vast quantities of the game. Clearly full of confidence after having secured the league title, the hosts passed the ball swiftly and well, which caused Dartford no end of trouble.

Only the alertness of Rhys Byrne kept the score level, as the goalkeeper saved superbly from Pearson (13), before collecting Dylan Morgan’s long-range drive (24).

The goalkeeper then saved well to keep out Alex Fisher’s header, before Ronny Nelson cleared the follow-up off the line, as Yeovil threatened to run riot (33).

And they were eventually rewarded for their efforts, when Dylan Morgan found the bottom corner with a neat strike from distance in the 42nd minute.

The Darts responded soon afterwards, but Luke Allen’s strike from distance flew narrowly wide of the top corner (45).

The start of the second forty-five saw Dartford swap Jordan Wynter with Maxwell Statham (46). Adrian Pennock would go on to use all three available substitutions this afternoon, as a double change took place after 72 minutes with Taylor Maloney and Fumnaya Shomotun coming on to replace Harrison Sodje and Luke Allen respectively.

As we return to the action, the first meaningful opportunity arose in the 58th minute after Rhys Byrne was adjudged to have fouled a Yeovil player during an attack inside the box. The referee, Mr Harry Wager, pointed to the spot, while Byrne received a yellow card for his trouble…

…but, the Dartford shot-stopper pulled off a terrific save to prevent Frank Nouble from adding a third goal for the champions!

Alex Fisher then fired narrowly wide after some swift, slick passing by the hosts (61), before Alex Wall was brought down inside the box at the other end… only for Mr Wager wave away the appeals for a penalty (62)!

Yet, the hosts weren’t going to be denied this afternoon and after intercepting the ball in the middle of the park, Yeovil raced forward once again with a swift counter-attack. And, despite the best efforts of Byrne and Co to keep it out, Fisher was on hand to tap home from close-range to secure the victory for the hosts (70).

Jordan Young should have added a fourth five minutes later, before Dartford came close to cutting the deficit after Luke Coulson and Taylor Maloney combined well… the skipper’s initial shot was blocked, before Maloney’s follow-up flew straight into the grateful arms of goalkeeper Joe Day (80).

But, as Yeovil celebrated a thoroughly deserved championship success, the Darts returned to Kent to reflect on what has been a difficult and disappointing final away trip/season in the National League South.


YEOVIL TOWN: Joe Day, Morgan Williams, Jake Wannell, Dylan Morgan, Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, Alex Fisher, Brooklyn Genesini, Charlie Cooper, Sam Pearson, Frank Nouble (c), Jay Foulston.

SUBSTITUTES: Matt Worthington, Jake Hyde, Jordan Young, Josh Owers, Michael Smith.

DARTFORD: Rhys Byrne, Jordan Wynter, Jack Smith, Luke Coulson (c), Luke Allen, Alex Wall, Paul Rooney, Joash Nembhard, Olly Box, Ronny Nelson, Harrison Sodje.

SUBSTITUTES: Maxwell Statham, Tom Wray, Fumnaya Shomotun, Taylor Maloney, Jordan Greenidge.

Match Photos Gallery

Chris Palmer