National League South 2019/2020

    Bulpit LaneBulpit Ln, Hungerford RG17 0AY, UK

    Hungerford Town
    Dartford FC
    2 - 2
    Final Score


    The August Bank Holiday saw Dartford travel to Hungerford Town just 48 hours after their 2-1 victory
    over Braintree Town at Princes Park.

    Recent visits to Town Ground, Bulpit Lane haven’t been kind to the Darts, with them losing the last
    three excursions to Berkshire. Unfortunately, those defeats have also seen the Darts fail to find the
    back of the net. Having said that, however, Adam and Jamie’s side were victorious the last time
    these two met, with a 2-1 victory at Princes Park last season. When you add the dominating victory
    over Braintree on Saturday, the visitors surely arrived with increased confidence of getting a result
    against Ian Herring’s Crusaders.

    The Dartford managers made just the one change from Saturday, with Luke Warner-Eley returning in
    place of the unwell Ronnie Vint. The ever-improving left-back was joined by Rob Howard, Josh Hill
    and captain Tom Bonner. Lee Noble and Luke Allen commandeered the midfield, while Luke
    Wanadio and Alex Flisher started out on the wings. The attacking partnership of Adam Cunnington
    and Darren McQueen continued, while Mark Smith continued in goal. Ryan Hayes, Ben Greenhalgh,
    Amos Nasha, Cameron Brodie and Norman Wabo were listed as substitutes.
    The strong lineup reflected the ambitions of Adam and Jamie’s recent statement, where they [Adam]
    discussed the importance of positive results over the Bank Holiday weekend. The Darts arrived at
    Bulpit Lane with the intention of building on Saturday’s win.

    The Darts worked tirelessly in the extreme temperatures to earn themselves a 2-2 draw. However, a
    little more luck and accuracy in attack would have seen them come away from Berkshire with all
    three points. Unfortunately, football can be a cruel game sometimes, and that proved to be the case
    at Bulpit Lane.

    The early exchanges were pretty even, although it was the Darts who threatened first when the
    tireless Cunnington hit a sweet volley, only to see it go wide of the far post in the 4th minute.
    Unfortunately, it was the hosts who then took the lead three minutes later, as Hungerford were
    quick on the counter. Zidan Akers managed to get past Hill and slot the ball past Smith.
    The following ten minutes saw the Darts getting back into the game and Flisher forced a good save
    from Crusaders’ keeper Adam Siviter. The goalkeeper’s efforts were in vain, though, because
    Dartford were level a minute later. McQueen was the recipient of a great cross and he connected
    with the ball perfectly, sending it into the back of the net with an exquisite overhead shot. The
    celebrations were justified as the search for an away goal at Bulpit Lane was finally over.

    The thirty minute mark arrived having seen referee Andrew Humphries stop play earlier to allow a
    drinks break, as the heat was starting to take its toll on both sets of players. Wanadio was feeling
    confident and skillfully played his way into shooting range, only to see his effort go wide of Siviter’s
    post. A minute later the Dartford number 10 was celebrating a superb goal that gave the visitors a
    well-deserved lead. Noble played a beautiful ball out to Howard, who then looped in a peach of a
    cross towards Wanadio. Wanadio then volleyed the ball into the back of the net to put the Darts 2-1
    up to the delight of the travelling supporters.
    Hungerford went straight on the attack and came close in the 34th minute, as Kofi Halliday got the
    better of Warner-Eley [after the latter stumbled] and forced an outstanding save from Smith. At the
    other end, the visitors should have made it 3-1 six minutes from half-time when McQueen got on the
    end of a beautiful ball from Noble. To his dismay, his free header went agonisingly close, but over
    the bar.

    The opening fifteen minutes of the second half saw Dartford create two good opportunities to
    extend their lead. First Cunnington broke free of the defence in the 52nd minute, but his left-footed
    effort sailed over the bar. Two minutes later Wanadio received a long ball from Smith, then both him
    and McQueen were able to keep it in the air and release it into the path of Cunnington. The big
    number 16 rifled in a piledriver which forced Siviter into a superb save.
    In the 69th minute, the Darts came close again when Flisher saw his free kick ricochet off of Marcus
    Johnson-Schuster and onto the post. Moments earlier saw the referee stop proceedings for another
    drinks break and Wabo replaced McQueen. Hungerford appeared to step up a gear as they gathered
    momentum in search of the equaliser. The visitors were aware of the threat and Nasha came on for
    Flisher, as Adam and Jamie took measures to maintain the lead.
    Greenhalgh replaced Wanadio in the 82nd minute as both sides continued creating opportunities,
    and it was the hosts who managed to breakthrough with a slightly fortuitous equaliser two minutes
    from time. James Constable saw his shot excellently saved by Smith, but the goalkeeper failed to
    clear the ball from danger, and Conor Lynch was there to slot it home.
    And so the Darts came away with a hard-fought draw in a game they thoroughly deserved to win.

    The players can be proud of another strong performance which saw them pick up four points over
    the Bank Holiday weekend. Heads can be held high however, because the three-game [seven if you
    include the end of last season] losing streak has come to an end, and the lack of goals scored at
    Bulpit Lane has also been laid to rest. Two superb efforts from McQueen and Wanadio saw to that!


    DateTimeLeagueSeasonFull Time
    August 26, 20193:00 pmNational League South2019/202090'


    Bulpit Lane

    Bulpit Ln, Hungerford RG17 0AY, UK


    Hungerford Town2Draw
    Dartford FC2Draw